Formative: Did the project get implemented as
planned?
Since we are in the middle of our
summer holidays, I was not able to implement the lesson with my entire class. I
do intend to do so when school begins in August this fall. As I stated in PART
C of this project, I “tried out” this project with my daughter.
Summative: Evidence of success in addressing
the problem of practice
The clearest evidence of success
is that she was able to go through and follow the lesson. She was able to gain
understanding of the concepts being taught and to begin work on the assignment.
How would you approach another project of
this type differently given what you’ve learned here?
Another way to approach this
project is to create a screen cast or video record the lesson and discussions
as they are taking place “live” during the class session and then creating a
blog post of the course for students to access. This would allow students who
were absent from the lesson to have access to what took place in the class, and
at the same time, students who were present in class could also go back to see
and reinforce what was being taught.
What are the lessons learned that others
might benefit from knowing about?
The main lesson was the time
involved in creating something of this scope. It may be better to start with
creating e-lessons on days where the topics being taught in class are of the
nature that your students have great difficulty with in general. For example,
if I were to choose to create e-lessons, I would begin with lessons that
involve graphing. Our students, in general, struggle with this.
In what ways will you endeavor to do the same
project again, and what will you change or not do?
I
think creating something like this is invaluable to teachers and students. This
is an on-going project. It could even be something that I can collaborate with
my peers, who are teaching the same courses as me. Once created, however, it
can be modified and revised on a regular basis. Due to the time involved with
completing something like this, I may have to create a timeline to make it more
manageable.
Seema,
ReplyDeleteYou have done a great job with your project and you have taken some great lessons away from it. I feel like I have learned a lot just by following your project and learning your triumphs and struggles, and I want to thank you very much for sharing!!
Angela
Seema, that is kind of a bummer that you didn't get to try this with your whole class yet...however I think that is great that you got to try it with your daughter before implementing it within a class! It's nice to get that feedback from her with things that can be different! I also agree that time is a big factor when creating something of this scale! I am interested in trying out some screen cast videos of this sort in the future, so let me know how it goes if you do create any more. Good luck with the ongoing project, I look forward to learning more :-)
ReplyDeleteSeema,
ReplyDeleteGreat job with your project! I would be interested in seeing your lesson if there is a way to share it with me. I agree with you that this is a time consuming project, but that it will be well worth it in the long run. Starting with concepts students struggle with is a great idea. Then you can build from there to other topics. Is there a way to involve students in the creation of your lessons? Maybe your students could create videos teaching various concepts which could be included with your lessons for future classes. Just an idea!
Sarah