Mobile learning can be very effective. I tried looking at the Poll
Everywhere tool. It is actually pretty amazing. Below are some of the screenshots of the poll I created and results I received.
From the articles I am reading as well as
what I am able to observe in my classroom, it is evident that mobile technology
does come with many, many advantages. Using it as a survey poll can really be
beneficial. I can use it to survey for ideas, student reflections on how
effective they thought a specific lesson or activity was, a pop quiz
(non-graded), “as a digital or
video camera to accompany school projects, publishing, etc.”, and as a way to
educate students on acceptable and appropriate social use. I will probably
start gradually and slowly because it is a new territory for me. In fact, our
high school is offering an elective course called Mobile Applications. In order
to keep up with the technology of the world today and to benefit most from what
we have in front of us, it is not a matter or choice but of necessity to
integrate mobile technology in our classrooms.
Despite the many advantages and positive
learning enhancements associated with mobile learning, there are many
challenges lying ahead. The first being the “fairness aspect.” If we were to
really incorporate mobile learning in the classroom, we will have to ensure
that all students have the same opportunity at success. What I am trying to say
here is that with the various brands, models, and applications of mobile phones
today, it is difficult for all students to work with a “common denominator”. The
other challenge is basic classroom management, whether it is during the class
lesson our outside the classroom. This would mean keeping students accountable
for completing the “mobile assignment” on time and giving out consequences if
they are not able to do so. This could be really tricky and complicated, as
well as time consuming. The exciting aspect would be that once the applications
are set up, and I have become familiar with it, it should get somewhat easier.
I am also hopeful that as using mobile applications becomes a classroom routine,
it would be much simpler for me as well as out students. The main goal, then,
would be to see how mobile technology can actually improve student learning.




No comments:
Post a Comment