1. What is the important educational need that
you are seeking to address? This element is fundamental in this project.
Since we have limited time, energy, and resources, cool technology
without a clear sense of why it matters or what we gain by it is of
little value in the educational setting.
Last year during October
there was a severe flooding situation in Bangkok, and we had to close
school for about six days. At that time, we had to use our school’s
website to create as much e-learning opportunities for our students as
possible. In addition to this, at our school, students often miss
classes due to involvements in athletics and/or other extra-curricular
activities. Providing students with opportunities for e-lessons is
becoming more of a necessity than an option at this point.
2. How you plan to address this educational
issue with technology? You need to make a clear and convincing case
that your proposed solution will make a real impact on the issue you
identify, and that your proposed approach is a reasonable approach given
its costs and possible alternatives.
Using the internet and
various technologies available is definitely the best way for me to
address this educational issue. My plan is to create on-line lessons for
the Algebra 1 course that I will be teaching during the next school
year. Each lesson will include some form of review/notes of the skills
that are needed to be successful in learning the lesson, some type of
teaching video and/or screencast in which the lesson will be delivered,
an interactive activity such as StAIR for students to confirm their
understanding of the lesson and practice the skills they are being
taught, as well as additional modeling and practice resources that can
be posted through the internet. I am still contemplating whether to
create my own site for the course or to post the lessons on our school’s
site which is called Panthernet. I am leaning towards using Panthernet
simply because it is managed by the school’s Education Technology team,
and they usually take care of the technology problems that come up.
Whereas if I use my own website and it does not work during an emergency
situation, I would not know where to go for assistance.
3. Logistics of solution:
For example…
a. What
is the scope? (e.g., when and where will tool be used and for how long?
Who all will use it?
There is definitely a
very wide scope for this tool. It can be used by all students taking the
course. In fact, it can be used by students in any math course who need some algebra review. Once it is set up, this tool can be visited by students over
and over again for learning, reviewing, and/or reinforcements.
4. Relevant research and
resources (from the Internet and elsewhere) including reports on the
closest effort you can find to what you are planning to do as well as
ideas and materials you may be able to build upon in your own effort.
Your description should include:
a. The
results of your search (What resources may help guide your project?
What resources may help in the implementation of your project?)
b. What you learned from performing this
search. For example, which search engines did you use? What strategies
did you use? What helped or hindered your search? How would you search
again next time?
I intend on using a lot
of the resources and tools that were introduced and taught in CEP 810
and CEP 811, and that will be used in CEP 812. Youtube and Khan’s
Academy are two of the various resources for teaching and learning math
that are available on the internet. I realise, however, that I would
need to carefully watch the videos and select the one that will support
the mathematics, concepts, and learning methods that I am focusing on in
the classroom. It is crucial to pick the “right” video and not just
“any” video. I will also be creating screencasts and/or videos of "teaching the specific lessons." The curricular resources that I plan to use will come from my school's course curriculum to ensure that it ties in to my course.
While performing these researches, I realized that doing this well needs time and clearly defined goals. There is so much available on the web that we, as teachers, may not need to "reinvent the wheel." However, it is important that we carefully select and only use what we are specifically searching for if we want to make our point clear and our learners focused on the concepts/topics/ideas that we are teaching. It also means that we may need to add our personal resources in the form of videos/podcasts/screencasts to link all the technology tools that we employ.
5. A plan for the portion you will implement
during this course and the portion you will implement after this course
completes.
During this course, I am
hoping to create e-lessons for the first two lessons of the Algebra 1
course. After creating these two, I plan to continue with as many
lessons as I can during the school year itself. I am hoping that they
will get somewhat easier after I have gone through the first couple of
e-lessons and taken care of the basic technology glitches that accompany
most of these kinds of technological implementations.
I intend to post these lessons on the school site as soon as school starts in August to allow students to have access to them as early as possible.
6. How would you know you were successful?
I will know if this
works, how well it works, and how I can make improvements on it, once my
students have access to these lessons, start using them, and providing
me with feedback on them. If more than 50% of the students access the
lessons and the resources, and spend quality time going through the various tools, I would
think that I am off to a good start. This should be sometime in August
and early September.
Seema,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great problem for you to tackle, and I don't think you are alone in your desire to provide opportunities for learning outside of the classroom. I too have students that miss a lot of school due to sports and illness, and I am always looking for a solution. I think the most challenging part of your task with this project is the time involved in putting your lessons together. However, in the long run, I definitely think it will be worth it. I think you are absolutely right in including your lessons on the school website. If students and parents are already familiar with it, then they are more likely to access and use it. I would love to see one of your lessons when you are finished. I am excited to see how they turn out. Maybe you can email me a link to your school website?
Our school is also working towards a lot of e-learning such as hybrid classes and virtual classes. This will entail a lot of the necessary materials, videos, lessons, practice, etc. that you are looking at within your problem!
ReplyDeleteI'm interested to see some of the videos that you use, because I also agree that why re-invent the wheel if there is already the 'right' video out there to use! Sometimes I find Kahn academy to be very overwhelming (at a higher level then my students would understand), but then there are also times when the videos are perfect!
I also agree with the use of technology, sometimes things can happen! I think it's a good choice to go with your schools website, so the technology people can assist if any issues may occur!
I'm looking forward to seeing your e-lessons and how you execute what you will be teaching the students!
Hey Seema,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really great idea to explore and implement. I also have a lot of students who miss class due to field trips and other school activities, and they need a convenient way to get caught up on the content that they miss. It is going to be very time consuming to create e-lessons for each lesson that you teach throughout the school year, however it will definitely be time well spent. One suggestion that I have that will save you time creating these lessons is looking online to see if there has already been something created that you can use to help students learn the content they were absent for. I find a lot of great activities/interactive lessons on Google and MERLOT that I incorporate in my classroom, and its nice because someone has already spent the time to create something similar to what you plan to create. I am really looking forward to seeing how your project plays out!
Angela